|Weight||11-15 Kg (approx)|
|Life Span||12-15 Years (approx)|
The general appearance should be that of a sturdy, compactly built hound. A merry hound he should be bold with great stamina and determination.
Dogs similar to Beagles were around in Roman times but more recently Queen Elizabeth 1 of England had packs of Beagles in the 1500ís. Beagles were trained to hunt Hares by following a scent with their owners following on foot.
A Beagle should have an even temperament. He should be amiable and alert showing no aggression and should not be timid.
A FEW ďDONíTsĒ
1. Donít buy a Beagle ONLY for their looks and temperament.
2. Donít buy a Beagle unless you will walk him for at least 45 minutes EVERY day.
3. Donít buy a Beagle if you want your dog to run off lead. Beagles must be walked on lead at all times.
4. Donít buy a Beagle if you do not have a secure back yard.
5. Donít buy a Beagle unless you are prepared to allow your Beagle to become part of the ďfamily packĒ. They dislike being alone.
6. Donít buy a Beagle unless you are willing to train him.
7. Donít buy a Beagle if you want to keep your garden immaculately landscaped.
8. Most Important Ė Donít buy a Beagle unless you have a sense of humour and fun. Just when you think that you have your Beagle trained he will change the rules!!
DO THINK ABOUT BUYING A BEAGLE IF NONE OF THE ABOVE APPLY AND YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE DULL AGAIN!
Care / Grooming
A good brush once a week will keep a Beagleís coat in good condition. They should not be bathed frequently as this softens the coat, which is undesirable.
A Beagle is generally a healthy dog but some are susceptible to a mild form of epilepsy. Cherry Eye, requiring an operation, may on occasions affect a young puppy. It has not been proven one way or the other if either of these conditions is hereditary.